Root rights provide the owner of a device running on the Android operating system the ability to perform any operations. That is, you get full control over the system, that allows you to run specialized applications that significantly expand the capabilities of the smartphone, edit and modify system files, optimize the operation of your device, and perform many other operations.
The need for rooting can arise for a variety of reasons. The following instructions will be relevant regardless of what prompted you to root.
You may also like: How to detect mock locations on Android
Getting root access can be done with the help of special utilities that automate this process and make it accessible even for novice users. The complexity of the procedure depends on the device itself. On some models, this process takes only a few minutes, with others it is necessary to tinker.
As part of this review, we’ll show you how to get root rights using special programs. We will consider the most common and convenient ways to get root. To complete this operation successfully, you only need to follow the instructions that we prepared. Before you begin to get root, we strongly recommend that you examine in more detail what the superuser rights are and what risks they provide.
Attention! The procedure for obtaining root-rights is simple and if you strictly adhere to the instructions, there will be no problems, but if you decide to take such a step you should understand that the potential risk always remains. Irresponsibility to the procedure can turn your device into a “brick”.
Before rooting, you need to decide whether or not there is a need for this procedure. Superuser rights provide not only advantages but also drawbacks. In principle, if you get root and later it turns out that it is useless, there’s nothing wrong with that. Root rights can be deleted at any time. However, no one compensates the lost time to you, so it’s better to think everything over beforehand. To make it easier for you to make a choice, we list the main advantages and disadvantages of root.
Root rights allow:
- Delete standard preinstalled applications, built-in services, and other garbage, which by default is protected from deletion;
- Edit system files and programs;
- Activate additional Android functions;
- Install modified firmware and mods;
- Optimize the work of your device, increase the performance of autonomy, overclock the processor;
- Work with applications which functionality is accessible only if you root your Android;
- Install applications directly on the memory card;
- “Give” any of the applications full access to the system;
- Have backup with all applications that are currently installed on the system;
- Work with the interface without limits: change icons, themes, system sounds, greeting and picture or animation at power-up.
Disadvantages of root-rights:
- The ability to receive updates over the air from the device manufacturer disappears;
- Having root deprives the owner of the device for warranty service (you can remove root);
- You can delete files, the absence of which can negatively affect the operation of the system;
- There is always a risk of making critical mistakes, due to which the device can finally fail without a possibility of restoration.
How to get root-rights to Android: instruction
The degree of complexity of device rooting depends on the particular model. Sometimes it’s enough just to install a special utility and do several steps. In some cases, you have to tinker. For example, owners of HTC brand devices at first must unblock Bootloader. The following manual will be relevant for most models. If you can not get root after following the instructions below, try to find a manual for rutting your model.
Before you will root your Android, you should review the information about the types of superuser rights.
Types of root rights:
Full Root – permanent rights that remove the established restrictions.
Shell Root is analogous to the above type with identical capabilities but without access to the system folder.
Temporary Root – temporary Root access (valid until the device is rebooted).
Most often, you need to get a Full Root, which provides maximum opportunities. Be careful after getting root-rights with such features. If you delete the standard applications, you can delete the file, the absence of which will lead to violations in the system.
How to prepare the phone for rooting
So, you decided to make rooting. To do this you will need:
- Android device (battery charge is not less than 50%, especially for models running on older OS versions);
- USB cable for connection to PC (preferably original);
- Internet connection;
- The program by which rooting is performed.
Important! Before rooting or installing a new firmware, we strongly recommend that you make a backup, since data from the device’s internal memory may be lost.
You can get the superuser right directly through the device itself with the Android OS or use a computer. In both cases, special utilities are used. As an example, we will consider the most used programs.
One of the most famous programs for rooting devices running on the Android OS is Framaroot. The program supports a huge number of different devices. Framaroot allows you to get root-rights to the Android device in one click, without using a computer. The program is easy to use and will not cause questions even for novice users.
To get root, you do not need to work with ADB commands, system flash files, and perform other similar actions. Everything is extremely simple, fast, and understandable. True, the list of supported devices is limited, so the program may be useless for you. In any case, you should start with Framaroot, and in case of failure, resort to using other programs.
To get root rights using Framaroot, follow these steps:
- Download the latest version of the program from the official site http://framaroot.ru/;
- Install Framaroot from the downloaded apk-file to your device (you must first allow installation of applications from unknown sources in Android security options);
- If your device is supported by the program, the screen prompts you to select the application for root-rights management and the method for getting the superuser right;
- Choose Superuser or SuperSU. Click on any exploit, for example, Boromir. If nothing happened, try another exploit;
- If you were successful, a window with a smile will appear. For the changes to start working, you must restart the device.
As you can see, the process of getting root using the Framaroot program is extremely simple and does not involve any complications. The main drawback of this utility is that it does not support all devices. If you couldn’t get rooting using Framaroot, try other variants.
Kingo Android Root
Unlike the Framaroot application, the Kingo Android Root program can be installed not only on Android but also on the computer. As for the process of getting root, everything here is also fast and simple.
It is possible to download the program Kingo Android Root from the official website of the developer www.kingoapp.com completely free. You can install the program on Android or Windows. At first, we recommend you try to get root through the application, and if it does not work, try to get root through the PC.
To get root-rights using the application:
- Use the link given above, download and install the program.
- After installing, start the process of rooting: click on the corresponding button.
- Now it remains to wait until the process is over and check whether your device has succeeded in getting superuser rights.
- To check whether there is root-right or not, install the Root Checker application from Google Play.
If for some reason the above method does not work for you, try to get root using the computer program version.
To get root-rights through Kingo Android Root using PC:
- Go to the official website and download the program Kingo Root for Windows.
- Run the setup file and install Kingo Root.
- Activate the debugging mode on the smartphone/tablet using the corresponding option in the “For Developers” menu.
- Connect the mobile device to the computer via the USB-cable and start the application.
- Confirm access to the key’s digital fingerprint by ticking the pop-up form and confirming the action with the OK button.
- Start the process of rooting by clicking the Root button in the graphics window on the PC.
- Wait for everything to be ready. During the jailbreak, the device can restart several times, so do not worry, everything is going according to plan.
Framaroot and Kingo Android Root programs support a huge number of devices. If you do not get root for your model following the instructions that were given, you can try the following tools:
One more the fastest, safest and easiest way to get root-rights to your Android device is Towelroot.
This program is great for the latest gadgets, in particular, for Samsung Galaxy S5, but before you use it to root your device, it’s worth making sure that it is in the list of mobile equipment on which the program has already been successfully applied. Another nuance: the latest versions of devices from Samsung have the preinstalled Knox system, and you should understand that after trying to root your device you lose warranty once and for all.
So, the sequence of actions for rooting is as follows:
- You need to download Towelroot from the official developer site.
- Ignoring the warning of Android OS, install the program on your device.
- Start Towelroot, click “make it ra1n” and wait for the device to restart (it will take about 15 seconds). Then, using the Root Checker application (available on Google Play), check if root rights have been received.
- If the rooting is successfully completed, install the SuperSU security utility (as -Superuser option) from Google Play. This must be done so that other applications can not use root-rights and do not damage the device.
One Click Root
One Click Root is the program that will help you to get root rights without using a computer. It will be fast and easy.
How it works:
- Activate the ability to install applications from “Unknown sources“;
- Turn on “USB debugging“;
- Make sure your phone is connected to the Internet;
- Go to the official project page and download the One Click Root program;
- Go to the File Manager in the Downloads folder and install the application;
- Click “Root Now“;
- Next, start Scan Now, the method for rooting and the installation itself will start;
- If successful, the application One Click Root will notify you with the Congratulation message
It’s quite easy to use, so it’s one of the most popular programs for rooting.
How to use:
- First, download the installation file from the official site directly from your device (so it will be easier than using a computer) – https://kingroot.net/. Click “Free Download”. Confirm saving of the file. The screenshot clearly shows the address of the site, and also shows what you need to do. In the notification bar, you can see the status of the download. Note: when downloading the installation file it is desirable to have a connection to the high-speed Internet via WiFi.
- Now you need to install the application. Before that, allow installation from unknown sources. Then go to the download directory and click on the corresponding file.
- Now install the application by clicking on the “Install” button.
- Click on KingRoot file to start. Immediately, the application will begin to determine the model of your device, and also whether it already to rooting.
- Now when the operation is complete, click on the “TRY TO ROOT” button to get root-rights. And wait for the device to restart, and you will be informed that the process of hacking the system is over.
BaiduRoot is one of the best known and helpful tools when you need to get root-rights on the mobile OS Android. The program can be installed as on your device as on PC. It allows you to get not only root-rights in one click, just by using it you can manage the superuser rights on your device. You just need to install this program and click the get root button.
One of the undoubted advantages Baidu Root – the number of devices that it supports, namely, more than 6000 devices. In addition to activating the administrator account, Baidu will help to change the interface of the Android OS, create a custom firmware, remove annoying standard ringtones and more.
Instructions for use:
- Download the program http://baiduroot.net/.
- Accept the agreement. (If the version is not translated – the button will be in the lower right corner)
Sometimes it requests updating/upgrading – you should refuse.
- Click the “get root” button (If the version is not translated – then the button in the center, large and blue)
- Wait for notification about getting root-rights.
Immediately we want to upset the owners of Samsung, if you have installed KNOX, then you will not be able to get normal root rights without removing it.
How to check if there is a root right on your phone
If you have taken all the necessary steps, but still are not sure of the availability of root, then this can be easily verified. Download and install the application called SuperSU of the latest version, then launch it and all information regarding the SuperUser will be displayed on the screen. With this software, you can easily and quickly give or take administrative rights from individual applications.
You may also like: 11 Best Motion Detector Apps for Android
Above, we told you in detail how to get root access to your Android-device system, and also, what is this root-access in general. We have provided you with detailed instructions for working with the most popular effective software. But know that there are other programs.
Try it, if it does not work out with the help of one, it will turn out on the other. Good luck!