Did you know that the wind speed of Hurricane Irma, which dominated off the coast of Florida, and because of which millions of people had to be evacuated, was up to 300 km/h?
Gusts of such force practically don’t leave the chances for any inhabited construction. It’s no wonder that many people have started to take an interest in the wind map and track the movement of the hurricane. So, we present the best Android apps to check the current wind speed:
It is this site that is preferred by tens of thousands of users around the world, and its mobile application for Android is one of the most popular and highly appreciated. The application Windy.com provides the most current data on a variety of climatic indicators:
- Wind strength and direction (wind map)
- Temperature map
- Precipitation in the form of rain and snow
- Atmospheric pressure
- The strength and direction of the waves
- Weather map of windy.com
You can set the units in which to display pressure, temperature, etc. You can also enable/disable the display of the required parameter: temperature, wind, waves, precipitation, etc.
The advantage of the project is the great visibility of the data presented.
On the map of the Earth, the direction of the wind, its speed, and strength are shown with the help of animation. Since all the data is displayed in real time, you can see what is currently happening in a particular region of the planet.
At the bottom of the window, there is a timeline with dates and days. By clicking on any date, you will receive a weather forecast for that day. Clicking the play (white triangle) button will start the animation of hourly changes in weather conditions, where you will see, for example, how the wind will change tomorrow, the day after tomorrow and during the next days.
There is no doubt that Windy gives you a great interactive opportunity to see how the weather depends on the wind. You don’t need any charts and tables – you see everything online, in real time!
In addition to everything described above, Windy.com has a number of other features that someone will find very useful. For example, displaying the current situation at the airports, showing the places suitable for hang-gliding or kiting on the map, displaying online cameras, etc.
Using only the most up-to-date online data allows Windy to build not only the most accurate wind map of the world but also to make reliable weather forecasts.
Downloads: 139 900 +
Customers rating: (4.7 / 5)
You may also like: 19 Best weather apps for Android
Windfinder will give the user the ability to fully monitor weather conditions across the globe. In addition to the main properties of the weather forecast, the Windfinder owner also has the privilege to check the current wind speed and wind direction.
The program is famous for its rich functionality. The management of the application is very easy. With the help of the navigation mode, it is possible to find any point in the world, to scale the desired country or city, and then find detailed data on weather forecasts and other meteorological conditions.
Responsiveness of the sensor control is realized in the most competent way, it is easy and comfortable to create surfing on the world map.
Advantages of Windfinder
- Pleasant implementation of external design
- A wide range of weather stations
- A good set of additional settings
- Clear control
With the help of Windfinder, the user can be aware of all the necessary synoptic forecasts.
The application resource contains all countries of the world and can display both the weather forecast itself and analytical graphs of wind, waves, tides, precipitation, and other necessary meteorological information.
Downloads: 21 500 +
Customers rating: (4.5 / 5)
Windy is a convenient application for wind-dependent people that provides accurate and clear weather and wind forecasts for any part of the world.
- Accurate weekly, daily and hourly weather forecasts
- Weather nearby, in selected locations and around the world
- Weather widgets for your smartphone home screen
- Wind forecast for any part of the world for 10 days ahead
- Weather Statistics (Archive): View data on wind, temperature (day and night) and atmospheric pressure. The weather archive will help you to choose the most suitable month for your trip to the chosen location
- Interactive HD wind map: weather radar for sailing, yachting and kiting
- Detailed weather forecast: wind speed and direction, gusts, precipitation, cloudiness, temperature, waves, tides, atmospheric pressure, sunrise time, sunset time, etc.
- 30 000+ locations in a database sorted by popularity
- Creating spots + favorite spots = stay up to date with the weather on your favorite locations
- Offline mode for viewing the forecast without Internet access
- Local chats for communication with other users
Perfect for: Surfing, Kitesurfing and windsurfing, Yachting and maritime navigation, Fishing, Parachute, Paraplan, Bicycle, Golf, Winter sports.
- Made by kiters for wind-dependent people!
- Beautiful and convenient interface!
- Sports geo-chats
- Setting up personal notifications
Downloads: 54 200 +
Customers rating: (4.5 / 5)
Wind Map is an amazing application that shows real time animated wind and temps for the entire planet! It will give you the actual wind info and temp at any spot you tap with your finger.
The main features of the Wind Map application:
- Live Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones info
- 3D earth globe maps of wind
- Predict wind and storms
- Get detailed info about wind speed and temperature
- Animated satellite images
- See the past and future predictions
- Get alerts
- Save locations on the map for a quick return
Become a wind guru with this windy app!
Downloads: 6 500 +
Customers rating: (4.6 / 5)
Storm Radar app for Android devices is a powerful weather forecast tool! Full-screen interactive maps with high accuracy of past and next eight hours forecasts, innovative lightning-tracking and real-time alerts provide a clear view of the weather in your region. Current weather data or forecasts by day or time are always available on your Android device.
- Radar: the accurate weather forecast.
- Global radar with data for the near future: innovative animated forecast for six hours on land and water.
- Storm track: detailed analysis of impending storm data, including the time of arrival, storm strength, storm components (e.g., wind, hail, thunderstorm or tornado), storm speed and direction, precipitation intensity, these storm tracking tools and much more.
- Hurricanes and tropical storms: historical and predicted pathways with data on wind speed, strength.
- Thunderstorms: displays thunderstorms within 100 miles.
- Customizable data layers: earthquakes, weather alerts, storm reports for your region, temperature and rainfall overlays, and more.
- Storm reports in your area: provide local forecasts and weather alerts anywhere in the world and in the United States, including Miami, Orlando, Chicago, Minneapolis, and St. Louis.
Downloads: 139 700 +
Customers rating: (4.0 / 5)
NOAA Weather Radar Live & Alerts
NOAA Weather Radar & Alerts is a useful and easy to use program with weather radars and warnings. Also, you will get animated maps in real time!
It’s a sophisticated yet easy-to-use application that will provide a detailed report on probable rain, wind, temperature, atmospheric pressure, etc.
Check the forecast for 7 or 10 days in any location, set up a personalized reporting style and choose the information you want to get: humidity, precipitation, dawn and sunset time.
Easily switch between cities, be warned about rains, storms, and hurricanes, choose background maps, add a widget to the screen to see the updated information.
The application allows you to set up several individual locations. This can be a place of residence and place of work. The program covers the U.S., Japan, and Europe.
Downloads: 302 900 +
Customers rating: (4.2 / 5)
You may also like: 26 Free Clock widgets apps for Android
WindAlert is one of the most trusted weather sources for Android. You will get all the weather information with real-time wind reports.
The wind condition reports are presented from over 50,000 stations worldwide. Here, you can create your own favorite list to have quick access to your go-to weather stations.
It includes Radar / Precip Map, Satellite / Clouds Map, Forecast Map and Nautical Charts.
Downloads: 2 000 +
Customers rating: (3.8 / 5)